GJP Floor Sanding Notes & Recommendations
- Please note that pet claws may mark or scratch lacquered floors. We advise clients to keep the animals claws clipped on a regular basis to minimize the damage caused to the finish coating. The lacquer/varnish is normally walk dry within 3-4 hours and fully cured in 48 hours, so light use is advised within this timeline.
- Important notes on resin gap filling. The method most widely in use is a resin filler mixed with wood dust creating a thick paste that is applied with a flat edge filling tool. This method only used if clients aren’t too worried about how long they want this filler to last. All resin eventually shrinks and with boards, your filler either ends up in the vacuum cleaner dust bag or falls through into the space below the boards, leaving you once again with unsightly black gaps and a lot of draught
- We advise clients to keep their property heated to normal room temperature. Excessive shrinkage may occur if heat is introduced to a property that has been vacant for a period of time.
- Please note historical damp along the edges of floorboards once stained may come up a darker colour leaving a stripe effect. GJP cannot be held responsible for the variation in colour.
- GJP Flooring use high quality primers and lacquers that are completely clear. GJP Flooring cannot guarantee the colour of the floor once the sealer/finishes have cured.
- Wood is a natural product and may contain sap, knots, grain variation and contaminates some floorboards maybe denser variation in appearance depending on which part of the tree they were cut from. Due to the nature of these elements within wood there may be further variations once a stain is applied. GJP Flooring cannot be held responsible for a variation of a stain colour due to these factors.
- Please note that a natural colour variation can occur with replacement reclaimed floorboards.
- Clients with engineered floors that are to be sanded must be aware that a sufficient wood wear layer (3mm +) is present. GJP Flooring cannot be held responsible if the core layer becomes exposed due to the insufficient top layer of wood.
- Clients with parquet herringbone/finger block flooring may find blocks become loose due to the failure of the bitumen adhesive that may have been used in the past. GJP Flooring cannot take responsibility if this occurs during or after the work.
- Please note if a client has chosen to have their stairs sanded there may be a lighter colour in the wood that has been covered in paint and may visually show even after a stain is applied. This is not down to the sanding process and is due to the fact that the wood has been covered from the light for many years. Please be aware that a stain colour may appear differently on stairs than on a floor and GJP cannot be held responsible for the variation in colour.
- Please be aware that wood floorboards may contain old contaminated stains (water/bleach/lime/pet urine/ironized/filler/ nails/deep gouges) within the wood. In some cases these stain/marks/paint may remain even after the floor has been sanded & finished.
- Floors that have been previously been painted or stain may conceal previous repair/fillers/wood worm holes or board replacement showing a variation in colour or even species of wood. This will only be evident once the floors have been sanded. GJP Flooring cannot guarantee that all paint can be removed from previously painted floors.
- When possible our site manager will make a note if any visual wood worn marking are present on his site visit. Clients with any concerns about active wood worm to have this professionally inspected & treated, prior to GJP floor sanding starting the work. GJP floor sanding cannot take any responsibility if wood worm markings become visible once the sanding work has begun.
- Due to the vibrations of the floor sanding machines cracks on walls and ceilings may occur. Any remedial work and decoration will be the client’s responsibility.
- Decoration of skirting boards and door frames maybe required after the floor restoration due to the nature of the work. Any remedial work and decoration will be the client’s responsibility.
- Please note in the winter months your central heating system will be used and your floor may begin to lose moisture which can cause gaps between the floorboards. In the summer months the humidity rises and the wood expands closing the gaps. This is simply nature at work on one of its own products. There is a possibility that gap filler and wood slivers maybe lost through these changes.
- Clients that have chosen an oiled finish should be aware that there is an 8-16 hour drying time between coats.
- Please note that light can affect your floors, areas that are covered may appear paler when uncovered. It is called “patina” which can happen as your floor ages. This process can be rapid during the first three months, less in six months, and finishing in about one year. Moving furniture and rugs around helps to even out areas where light is not exposed to. Try to avoid large area rugs for the first three months if you can.
- Due to the nature of the work and problems we may encounter, jobs may overrun the estimated completion time. Due to the nature of the work we may encounter delays to the start time or date of the work, this can be the result of unexpected problems encountered on the project booked prior to your work. We advise clients to allow for this delay.
- We have provided the tradesmen with a check list and additional work confirmation form to be filled out and signed off. If the client is not present a carbon copy will be left on site.
- Please be advised even though we use the latest reduced dust sanding machines, dust is still a by-product and we advise clients to notify us of any health concerns as appropriate action to minimize dust can be suggested and action taken. We will close all doors in your property to minimize transference of dust. Dust will however remain airborne for up to 48 hours. Further cleaning may be required, this is the responsibility of the client.
- Please note that lead may be present in any paint that is required to be stripped, and as a result, may become airborne. We insist on any children or pregnant women to stay away from the property while this work is undertaken and only return once the property has been professionally cleaned.
- Please note that customers are responsible for the disposal of all waste material produced from the work carried out to their property. All waste will be neatly bagged & left in a convenient location of your choice.
- Additional labour not estimated/quoted will be charged at £45.00 INC VAT per man per hour.
- If requested GJP Flooring can provide our complaints handling policy.
GJP Flooring Limited Terms & Conditions of Service
“The Company”, “We”, “Us” – is in regards to GJP Flooring Limited
“Floor Sander”, “Floor man” – means the person/team of people carrying out floor restoration, maintenance or floor fitting services on behalf of the company.
“Client” – means the person, company or corporate body together with any subsidiary or associated companies as defined by the Companies Act 1985 to whom the maintenance services are supplied by the company.
“Service” – means the services carried out by the company.
Unless the context requires otherwise, reference to the singular include the plural and references to the masculine include the feminine and vice versa.
The Headings contained in these Terms and Conditions are for convenience only and do not affect their interpretation.
These Terms and Conditions represent a contract between the Company and the Client.
Both parties shall ensure that their respective responsibilities under this agreement are undertaken in compliance with all statutory regulations and codes of conduct.
The Client agrees that any use of the Company services, including placing an order for services over the telephone, fax, email, website forms shall constitute the Client’s acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
Unless otherwise agreed in writing by a director of the Company, these Terms & Conditions shall prevail over any other Terms of Business or Purchase Conditions put forward by the Client.
No variation or alteration of these Terms & Conditions shall be valid unless approved in writing by a director of the Company.
Full copy of these Terms & Conditions is available on our website at www.gjpfloorsanding.com and reference to this copy is made on every Quotation or Agreement for services.
The Company uses either metric measurements or national average room sizes when calculating quotations over the telephone.
The Company reserves the right to amend the initial quotation, should the Client’s original requirements change.
The Company reserves the right to correct measurements submitted online and amend the initial quotation accordingly.
Differences in measurements of the actual size and the ones quoted, with an excess of 5% will be discussed with the Client prior to the start of the work.
All quotes are confirmed in writing after a viewing of the floors, unless otherwise agreed with Client.
The Company reserves the right to amend quotation not booked within 60 days of provision.
All quotation provided by the Company include a reference to the complete contents of these Terms & Conditions.
All our prices are subject to VAT and usually quoted as a final price, inclusive of Vat, unless stated on the Quotation provided.
The Company shall provide all supplies, products, maintenance or restoration equipment required to carry out the service, except such (if any) agreed in the Quotation provided.
The Client must provide running water and electricity at the premises where the service takes place.
Payments, Surcharges & Late Payments:
Unless otherwise agreed in writing by the company immediate payment is due on the completion of the works. Payments are accepted in cash, cheque, bank transfer or by debit / credit card. All cheques should be made payable to “GJP Flooring Limited”.
Although greatly appreciated and a powerful way to say ‘Thank you’, the Client understands that tipping is not required.
The Company reserves the right to charge interest on invoiced amounts unpaid for more than 30 days at the rate of 3% (domestic customers) or 8% (traders) per annum above the Bank of England base rate from the due date until the date of actual payment under the Late Payments Act.
The Company reserves the right to charge the relevant administrative fee, plus any solicitors’ fees, in addition to the balance due, incurred for any account we must refer for collection or subject to a court dispute.
All bank charges incurred due to a Client’s cheque being returned unpaid will be passed to the Client at a flat rate of £30.00 per cheque.
The Company reserves the right to cancel any contract and back charge additional for past services to reflect the balance of the standard rate(s) if any misleading or false information was used to obtain discounted services.
The rates of payment by the Company shall stay as agreed on the quotation provided between the Company and the Client, or their representative. The Client shall make no reduction or retention from the invoice unless agreed between the Company and the Client.
The Client can cancel or reschedule the scheduled service by giving prior notice of at least 48 hours before the service is due to begin.
The £100.00 deposit paid by the Client will be non-refundable if the Client cancels the scheduled service less than 48 hours before the works are due to begin.
Our operative(s) arrive at the Client’s address and are unable to gain access to the Client’s home, through no fault of the Company. If keys are provided they must open all locks without any special efforts or skills.
If the Client needs to change a day or time of their booking, the Company will do its best to accommodate the request free of charge, if it is not made within 48 hours of providing the flooring service.
No refund claims will be entertained once the service has been carried out, unless it has been considered as an approved claim (see Section 10).
Refund will be issued only if an operative has not been able to carry out the works due to reasons beyond the Client’s responsibility.
Requests for refunds may be considered for granting after following the procedure for filing a complaint (see Section 9).
All flooring services shall be deemed to have been carried out to the Client’s satisfaction unless written notice is received by the Company with details of the complaint.
All complaints must be received in writing by post, fax or email as soon as reasonably practical
The Company will fully investigate any complaint and attempt to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the Client, as part of the Company’s Service Guarantee.
The Client should allow the Company to return and redo any disputed issue(s) before looking for an alternative way of resolving the issues or request proceedings from the Company towards compensation and refunds.
We always endeavour to provide the best service and products for our customers. However, on rare occasions, we recognise that there may be times where our customers may not be completely satisfied.
To ensure we are able to put things rights as soon as we can, please read our complaints procedure below and we will respond promptly to ensure complete satisfaction.
As soon as possible after the completion of the works, please inspect the work to ensure everything has been carried out to our usual high standards.
In the unlikely event there is anything you are not completely satisfied with, please contact us as soon as you can in order that we can rectify any problems as soon as possible.
Where we cannot resolve any complaints using our own complaints procedure, as a Which? Trusted trader we use Dispute Resolution Ombudsman for dispute resolution. In the unlikely event of a complaint arising and you wish to refer the complaint to them please contact us on 0117 456 6031 or via their website https://www.disputeresolutionombudsman.org/which-trusted-traders-partnership
Claims & Losses:
The Company’s Public Liability Insurance (see below) will cover damages caused by an operative working on behalf of the Company.
The Company may require entry to site of the claim within 24 hours to correct the problem.
While the Company operatives make every effort not to break items, accidents do happen. Identical replacement is always attempted but not guaranteed. For this specific reason, GJP Flooring Limited requests all irreplaceable items (whether monetarily or sentimentally valuable) be stored away and /or not cleaned by the operatives.
In case of a damage of a Client’s property, the Company will repair the item at its cost. If the item cannot be repaired the Company will rectify the problem by crediting the customer with the item’s present actual cash value towards a like replacement from the Company’s source upon payment of the services provided.
Some defects may only become apparent later. Customers are to expected to notify the company of problems as soon as reasonably practical.
The Company shall not be liable under any circumstances for any loss, expense, damage, delay, costs or compensation (whether direct, indirect or consequential), which may be suffered or incurred by the Client arising from or in any way connected with:
For its failure to carry out its services as a result of factors that are beyond its control. Factors beyond its control include acts of god, floods, severe weather conditions, and inability to gain access to premises, lack of appropriate resources, such as water, electricity, and lighting;
For late arrival of Company operatives at the service address. The Company endeavors to be right on time on any visit but sometimes due to transport related and other problems which are beyond the Company’s control, the Company operative’s may arrive with a delay or the visit may be re-scheduled.
An existing damage to Clients property in the form of old stains/burns/spillages etc. which cannot be cleaned/removed completely by the operative using the industry standard methods;
The Company shall not be liable for not satisfactory result from the service due to the Client, third party or home pets walking on recently sealed floors.
The Company shall not be liable for accidently punching or nailing a water or gas pipe, which have not been installed according to the national / corgi regulations for piping. The company shall ensure that the Client is verbally informed of this and a written confirmation prior to proceeding with the service will be required; any issues arising subsequently shall be the sole responsibility of the Client.
The Company shall not be responsible for a poor result in cleaning or restoration where this is a result of considerable wear and tear, staining, liming and/or excessive damage of the floor.
The Company shall not be responsible for any variation of in stain colour caused by the natural variation and qualities of the wood flooring.
The Company shall not be responsible for any paint that is unable to be removed from previously painted, stained or damaged floors.
The Company shall not be responsible for any woodworm markings that become visible after sanding has begun. The Client must arrange professional inspection and treatment of any active woodworm before the works are scheduled to begin.
The Company shall not be responsible for any odours arising during and/or after the service when this is due to factors such as, lack of ventilation, and/or appropriate heating.
The Company shall not be responsible for any damage caused as a result of placing furniture by the Client on the floor, earlier than 12 hours since the application of the last coat of varnish / oiling / waxing on the floor.
The Company shall not be responsible for any damage or shrinkage of the wood floors caused by insufficient heating of the home.
The Company shall not be responsible for any remedial work necessary for damage caused by vibrations from the floor sanding machines such as cracks in the ceiling or walls.
The Company shall not be responsible for any decoration to skirting boards and doorframes that may be required due to the floor restoration.
The Company shall not be responsible for any loss or damage to gap filler caused by the natural movement of the floorboards, changes in humidity or by exposure to excessive amounts of liquid.
The Company shall not be responsible for any cleaning necessitated by excess amounts of dust created during the floor restoration process.
The Company shall not be responsible for any damage caused by the necessary removal or replacing of furniture before or during the sanding process.
The Company shall not be responsible for any damage caused to engineered flooring through the sanding process due to an insufficient amount of top layer. The Client is responsible for determining whether a sufficient wood wear layer is present for all engineered flooring before scheduling works.
The Company shall not be responsible for the loosening or dislodging of parquet herringbone or finger block flooring caused by the failure of previously applied bitumen adhesive.
We record all incoming and outgoing phone conversations for quality control, record keeping and back-referral for any inquiries or investigations.
The Client is responsible for removing existing floor coverings (i.e., carpets, underlay and gripper rods) in areas to be sanded.
All free-standing furniture must be removed in areas to be sanded. If the Company is required to move furniture, the Client will be charged £70.00 per hour per two men. The Client must advise the operatives where the furniture should be placed. As stated in section 11, the Company cannot be held responsible for any damage to the furniture or other property caused by furniture removals or replacement.
If requested, Company operatives will seal doors with low tack tape to minimise dust and cover fireplaces with protective plastic film.
For each room that cannot be cleared of furniture, the Client will be subject to an additional £160.00 charge to allow for the extra time and work required to complete the floor restoration process.
Additional work including but not limited to nailing down loose floorboards, staples and tack removal, etc., will be charged at a rate of £35.00 per hour per man.
If a stain has been requested the Client must visually choose from the samples applied to their floor. Any changes after the chosen stain has been applied to the floor are subject to a re-sanding and staining charge.
If the Client requests that old gap filler, paint or stain between floorboards is removed, this will charged at a rate of £70.00 per hour per two men.
The Client understands that although the Company uses the latest reduced dust sanding machines, dust is still a by-product and may remain airborne for up to 48 hours after completion of the works. The Client must notify us of any health concerns so that appropriate action to minimize dust can be taken and further measures suggested. Company operatives will close all doors in your property to minimize transference of dust. Further cleaning may be required, which will be the responsibility of the Client.
The Client is responsible for the disposal of all waste material produced from the work carried out to their property. The Company will ensure that all waste will be neatly bagged and left in a convenient location of your choice.
If the Client requests keys to be collected by Company operatives from an address outside the postal code of the Client’s address then a £10.00 charge will apply. The charge will cover only the pickup of keys. If said keys need to be returned back to the pick up address or any other address another charge of £10.00 will apply.
If any estimates of how long it will take the operatives to do the job required are being provided, that is only an estimate based on the average time it takes for such service from our previous experience and of similar size to the Client’s. It is difficult to estimate precisely how long it may take due to specific obstacles and that a degree of flexibility may be required.
The Client understands that the Company will do its utmost to begin works on the scheduled start date, but that the Company reserves the right to reschedule the start date or time due to the nature of the work and to accommodate delays caused by prior projects.
The Client understands that the price he has been quoted is not for a “package deal” and does not include anything apart from services included in the quote.
The Company shall arrange an immediate replacement should an operative cannot attend a scheduled visit, and will inform the Client prior to the visit.
All fragile and highly breakable items must be secured or removed.
The Client shall ensure that all valuables are stored away when work is carried out and that the property is supervised by the Client or his representative at all times during the course of the work. The Company shall not be responsible for the Clients failure to comply with this obligation.
The provisions of this contract are not intended to confer any benefit upon Third parties and the provisions of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, are hereby expressly excluded from this agreement.
The Company reserves the right to make any changes to any part of these Terms and Conditions without giving any prior notice. We may add to or alter these Terms and Conditions from time to time and any alterations or additions will apply to new business but not to existing contracts. Please refer to your copy of these Terms and Conditions.
Service Guarantee – Obligations & Limitations:
We have built our business and reputation by providing our clients with quality wood floor fitting, wood floor sanding and maintenance service. Still, we realise, that sometimes mistakes may occur. For this reason, we offer our own Service Guarantee.
On completion of works, the Client will check that the work has been completed to satisfaction and will sign a customer satisfaction form. Signing this form does not affect the Client’s rights to our Service Guarantee.
Our Service Guarantee includes a free inspection of any issues raised with our wood floor restoration or wood floor installation services. Investigation may be required as well by manufacturers and suppliers.
Our Service Guarantee includes Labour and Materials, including the actual flooring in the case of improper use of products or planning during wood floor installation.
The Company reserves the right to apply limitations on its Service Guarantee on wood floor restoration, not laid originally by the Company.
Exemptions & Limitation of Our Service Guarantee:
- Damage by a third party service or faulty appliance causing leak(s), increased air humidity or increased subfloor moisture levels, which have appeared after the wood floor installation.
- Issues with floating wood floor installations, where the subfloor preparation was not part of the quote provided.
- Working on floor coverings, which are at the end of their usability term, including engineered wood floors with significant wearing of its natural wood top layer.
- Gap filling with resin filler during restoration of boards without click or tongue & groove fitting system.
- Please note, while working on the surface of your floors during restoration / repairs and endeavour to make every effort for refitting / fixing, before proceeding with the gap filling, it is in fact the solidness of the floor boards, their remaining thickness and the condition of their support (joists) that will defy the durability of the gap filling, not the quality of the products used or the service provided.
Our Insurance – Your Peace Of Mind:
Any work undertaken by GJP Flooring Limited is covered by a Public Liability Insurance, Employers Liability Insurance and Treatment Risk Insurance for private dwellings, offices, shops, restaurants and hospitals.
Every Client of the Company will receive a one-time credit of £30.00 for referring our floor restoration services to another Client. Credit will be issued after we receive cleared funds from the new Client.
These Terms are governed by the laws of England and Wales, and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England, and Wales.
Protect Your Investment
Avoid liquid and cleaning products for 2 weeks from the completion of work as the lacquer/varnish may not be fully cured. Do not drench the floor in water to clean, always use a recommended cleaning product. We recommend that you do not wet mop the floor and that furniture is placed back and not dragged across the floor as this may damage the floors coating. We recommend floor protectors are purchased from your local DIY store.
- Dirt & Grit: Dirt, grit and sand are your wood floor’s worst enemies, they act like sandpaper causing scratches, dents & dulling. Place floor mats at entrances to trap dirt & prevent damage.
- Water & Other Spills: Standing water can warp a wooden floor and can damage the finish. Simply wipe up all spills as they happen.
- Hard Cleaners: Avoid oil soaps. They can build up and create problems when it’s time to put a maintenance coat on the floor. Instead, neutral pH cleaners made specifically for wood floors are recommended.
- Furniture: Lift the furniture to move it and avoid dragging. Felt contacts under the legs will help prevent scratches.
- Attention: Vacuum with a brush attachment and do not use vacuums with beater bars (metal base that scrapes the floor)
- Sun: Direct sun can discolour your hardwood floor. Close curtains and blinds or add sheer drapes to protect from the sun’s intense UV rays.
- Sweep: Brooms with fine, exploded ends trap dust and grit effectively.
- Vacuum: Vacuum cleaners with attachments for wooden floors are the surest way to get rid of all the dirt and dust.
- Dry MOP: How to mop your floor – fill a plant spraying container with a suitable wood floor cleaning solution, spray the cleaning solution directly onto the floor and mop immediately. Never a wet mop as this can cause the gap filler to breakdown & fall out.